Derek Chauvin is GUILTY of All Charges in George Floyd Murder

Photo captured from WP Live

A historical moment has arrived at the Hennepin County, Minnesota District Court. Almost a month-long murder trial of Derek Chauvin’s case after the death of George Floyd on May 25, 2020, had brought tensions between protesters and law enforcement outside of the courthouse. However, the verdict was finally reached today.

The 12 jurors found him guilty of second-degree unintentional murder, third-degree murder, and second-degree manslaughter in George Floyd’s death in May 2020.

The prosecution moved to have Derek Chauvin’s bail revoked. Judge Peter Cahill granted the motion. Chauvin was handcuffed in the courtroom and taken into custody by the Hennepin County Sheriff’s Office right after Judge finished the verdict. According to Washington Post live,

Judge Cahill said, “eight weeks from now we will have sentencing.”

The maximum sentence for second-degree unintentional murder is imprisonment of not more than 40 years. The maximum sentence for third-degree murder is imprisonment of not more than 25 years. The maximum sentence for second-degree manslaughter is 10 years and/or $20,000.

Keith Ellison, Minnesota attorney general stated at the conference afterward, that he didn’t want to call this “Justice” as justice implies “true restoration.” Ellison stated we can end “racism” now.

George Floyd died on May 25, 2020, after Derek Chauvin, a White police officer, pressed his knee to Floyd’s neck for 9 minutes and 29 seconds during the arrest. Floyd was handcuffed face down in the street, while two other officers further restrained Floyd, and a fourth prevented onlookers from intervening. Floyd’s restraint and death were captured on a cellphone camera and sparked global protests Seventeen minutes into the arrest, Floyd was unconscious. Repeatedly while pinned under Chauvin’s knee, he stated that he couldn’t breathe. During the final two minutes, Floyd was motionless and had no pulse. Onlookers repeatedly called out for help upon realization of Floyd’s struggling. Though the officers called for medical assistance, they took no action to treat him. Chauvin kept his knee on Floyd’s neck and back until emergency medical technicians arrived. The incident was captured on video.


Coree ILBO copyright © 2013-2021. All rights reserved.

This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed in whole or part without the express written permission.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Confirm that you are not a bot - select a man with raised hand: